Writing for Policy Results
2 Day Workshop - Please complete the form to waitlist
Another two-day immersion, delivered by experienced policy professional, Nonie Malone, and awarded government writing educator, Sandra Hogan, this workshop will hone your skills so you and your decision-makers have confidence in your written communications.
- Know the critical importance of writing in the policy development process
- Understand how to use policy documents to reach and influence decision-makers
- Know how to navigate the complex policy environment
- Distinguish the elements of good policy writing and learn by doing
- Know how to engage internal and external stakeholders effectively
- See how policy documents influence and embody policy
- Develop confidence in planning and creating policy documents
- Know how to communicate accurately, briefly and comprehensively
Free copy of The Australian Policy Handbook
An invaluable guide for practitioners, academics and students to the craft of policy analysis, development and evaluation. It is an important resource for those with a commitment to sound evidence-based public policy.
Professor Ken Smith, ANZSOG Dean and CEO
An enduring and important contribution to the field. Althaus, Bridgman and Davis’ pioneering policy cycle approach continues to offer vital insights into the policy-making process in Australia and internationally.
Lisa Paul AP PSM, Former Secretary of the Department of Education
Download the PDF Brochure for full course details.
Day One: Policy writing in context and action
1. Policy writing ideals and reality
Exploration of writing experiences
What goes wrong in policy writing?
What is needed to produce good work?
2. Essential writing to support the stages of the policy cycle
Overview of the nature of policy and the policy cycle
Policy documents and their purposes
3. Identifying and reaching the right audience
Identify the target and incidental audiences for each type of document
What strategies do you need to meet the needs of the particular audience?
4. Briefing note and correspondence writing tools & skills
What gets in the way of writing a good brief or letter and what to do about it
What content do you need and how do you organise it?
Getting your point across
5. Communicating clearly #1 – why grammar & punctuation count
Taking the pain out of grammar & punctuation (group exercise)
Day Two: Influencing through policy writing
1. Plain English tools & skills
How to recognise and avoid jargon and obfuscation
When and how should technical language be used
The language of policy
How to communicate the complex simply
2. Convincing decision-makers
What do decision-makers want and need?
How to argue for the best course of action
How to write recommendations that lead to decisions
3. Cabinet submissions, discussion (green) papers, white papers
What are these documents for?
What makes a good cabinet submission?
Complexity made simple - planning and creating Cabinet submissions
4. Communicating clearly #2
Sentence by sentence - writing for clarity
Presentation without words
5. Managing for efficiency and effectiveness as a policy writer
How to find strategies and resources to help you reach ideals
How to foster conditions in your agency to facilitate your writing
Personal skills for policy influence.
2 Day Workshop $2290
Early-bird discount of $200 if payment received by 14 May 2021
Join the wait list
Unfortunately all places have been filled for this workshop. However if someone drops out or you'd like to attend the next one, please fill in your details below and we'll notify you when there is an opening.